Monday, March 12, 2012

Where did I go wrong?? I almost made a sale?

I'm a sales rep for a coupon company. I made 2 appts this week that seemed promising. Both companies said come back today (friday) to sign up. One called before and changed their mind. The other company- the owner said he has to think about it for 3 more months or so.



Now I made no commission and no sales and I thought that I was getting paid today. WTF. I am so upset. What did I do wrong? The appointment went really really good, but both told to come back on Friday. Came back Friday and they Buls**t me and told me "maybe in December"Where did I go wrong?? I almost made a sale?
Well Kiwi sorry that you didnt' make the sale but perhaps you didn't make the customer feel confident enough with your sales pitch. I would have asked the question at the time the customer that called you before and changed there mind you said. At that moment while i had them with me in person or on the phone. I would have probed them more to find out what there doubts are and to see if you can smooth things over or help them understand or answer any of there questions. Something like Mr. Jones what is stopping you from going ahead with this. IS there any questions you have that I could answer or explain to you better. I want you comfortable in knowing what you are about to buy is the right way to go. Or there is something your not sure about or hesitant with going through, and I want to understand this , so I can help you. Please feel free to be level with me .. YOU have to find out what made this person run the other way something about the deal is not sitting right with this customer and you need to find the reason why then put his mind at ease or reassure him ( be honest of course) Whether you get this sale or not it will help you know next time red flags or something you might have missed in your sales pitch that you can learn the next go around. And with both customers I would talk to them or call them back and tell them you will definatly follow up with them in the near future. and at any time if they have any questions or concerns your door is open and leave them your business line. Show them your not going away and you care about there business



Although you may have felt the meeting went well somewhere something dropped. And you will only learn from this for the next sale and critique what you need to do. I still wouldn' t let those to prospective customers leave you. I'd follow up with them jot them down in your day timer as to when to follow up with them or when to send them brochures of updates etc...
Your most welcome Kiwi don't let it get you down. Sales are funny business you will learn to read people well and each time you dont' receive a sale probe and find out why and as you said then do your homework for next time right now your critiqueing your skills soon you will master .all the best!

Report Abuse

Where did I go wrong?? I almost made a sale?
Did you ask them why they wanted you to come back Friday?

Did you try a trial close at your first appointment... along the lines of "are you happy with everything we have covered today? if so did you want to move forward?" if they say no ask them what their reservations are for not signing with you then and there. Ask them if you can over come their concerns would they want to move forward.



one thing I have learnt in sales is "If you want a better answer, ask a better question" and never assume anything, always clarify.
Sounds to me like they did further research on your company and found something they didn't like. You should research your own company/product. Find out if there are news articles out there talking about what a bad deal it was for other clients.

No comments:

Post a Comment