Friday, March 9, 2012

Ever had a job that just wasn't what it was cracked up to be?

I'm a certified massage therapist who, for the past 8 months has been practicing in the USA (moved from Canada) as a sub contractor. My current employer is easy going, gives us a good commision (60%) charges fair prices for massage and covers everything except our own oils/lotions. However, he is not aggressive with advertising. Many of my regular clients have been a result of me bringing them in through my own website, coupons, passing out cards, etc. On a good day I might have three, some days I have nothing.



I got a job at a spa to keep me busier during the day and make a bit of money; however, they take 60% commission and the massages are $20+ more. They want me to take clients from the other place which I feel #1 is unfair to my boss, and #2 is ridiculous to expect them to spend a lot more money to get a massage at the spa. Maybe I'm just not driven enough, but I just don't think it's right.



Anyway, I'm expected to be there my entire shift whether I have bookings or not. Thursday I had two which amounted to about $10/hour at the end of the day, Friday I had no one, so basically I did laundry and cleaned for 5 hours for free. Saturday I had a couple.



I guess you don't appreciate what you have until you see what else is out there. My first boss has us on-call, so basically we say we're available X amount of hours, he calls us in, we do our job and end up making about $30 or more per hour. And we have the freedom to come and go as we please.



Although it's only been a week, I'm ready to get my *** out of the spa. I left a message for the manager to call me. I wasn't sure if I should go in and talk to her, or just talk to her on the phone?



I've decided to just focus on the first place and try to build up a clientele. But I feel like a quitter and I hate that.



Experiences?Ever had a job that just wasn't what it was cracked up to be?
All my working life,I worked from 1943 until 1993 and never had a job I really and truly liked, but I had to work and just got on with it. Retirement's better.Ever had a job that just wasn't what it was cracked up to be?
No it is all cracked. I can say I love you. D-bags put food on the table? Thank you for spit. I will spit on you also. These are not good people.

No comments:

Post a Comment