Friday, March 9, 2012

Meaning of the poem Stamps by Bethlyn Madison Webster?

Stamps



I'm watching the woman

who is watching my groceries

rolling along the conveyor belt.

She stands Cheerio-mouthed

in a pink and white dress

sporting a crisp, curled hairdo

and staring as much as she pleases

while I stand behind my husband,

hiding behind him and the baby.

She has seen him produce

a book of foodstamps

from his pocket, and I think she wants

to see how her tax dollars

are being wasted today. .

Eggs, milk, peanut butter, bread

root beer and a bag of store brand

chocolate chips. She looks

at those the longest.

I want to tell her that we work

for ten cents above minimum.

I want to explain

that it's Friday, we're tired,

and our chocolate is none of her business.

Somehow, we're on display

along with the tabloids and gum.

With long pink-nailed fingertips,

she puts her stuff up now:

a big red rib-eye steak

a head of green lettuce,

the leafy kind, and a bottle of medot

Our total is rung

and my husband pays.

The checker lays the coupons upside-down,

like a blackjack hand,

and pounds them with a rubber stamp.





What do you think is the theme of the poem?Meaning of the poem Stamps by Bethlyn Madison Webster?
lol the answer is right in the poem



"she wants to see how her tax dollars are being wasted today"

"I want to tell her that we work for ten cents above minimum.I want to explain"

"Somehow, we're on display"

No comments:

Post a Comment